Lauren Hill vs. Li Wenwen; Newton advances

Manuel writes:

Hari Seldon’s equations predicted that Asimov will pass to the next round, but what if Newton was the Mule?

Jonathan brings in the philosophy of statistics:

Newton’s 3 Laws are only approximate, per Einstein, while Asimov’s 3 Laws are exact, per Will Smith. Given your distaste for Exact Tests and everyone’s distaste for Will Smith, it’s Newton.

Raghu argues in favor of the storyteller:

My excellent high school physics teacher looked a lot like Asimov, down to the massive muttonchops. This had a big impact on me in terms of field of study, though not facial hairstyles.

If Asimov couldn’t even influence a physics-minded teenager to change his hairstyle . . . that’s not very impressive at all! It’ll have to be the alchemist, advancing to the next round.

Today’s matchup

Lauryn wrote and performed one of the greatest albums of all time. Wenwen is the strongest woman who’s ever lived. Who do you want to go up against Isaac Newton in the next round?

Every ghetto, every city and suburban place I been make me recall my days in the New Jerusalem.

Again, here are the announcement and the rules.

4 thoughts on “Lauren Hill vs. Li Wenwen; Newton advances

1. I might be the only person on the planet who hasn’t heard the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. Probably my loss, seeing her impressive resume. I think it would be interesting to hear from the strongest woman on earth, though, but would be concerned about the strongest woman on earth rending limbs assunder from any disagreements from the audience. I have to go with Miss Hill, if only because she could kill us softly with her song.

2. I’m going with Li Wenwen, unless you bring Archimedes and a lever into the contest as a surprise replacement. She’s clearly the strongest speaker in the tournament.

3. I dusted off and listened to my CD of The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, and just like in 1998, I find the classroom interludes annoying. It’s certainly a very good album, though. (I don’t agree with “one of the greatest albums of all time,” but to each his own.)

Perhaps anticipating this contest, Ms. Hill asks, “How you gonna win when you ain’t right within?” Her legal troubles and erratic behavior do call into question how right she is within, and then?

4. I had to read up about Li Wenwen, and I was surprised to find that she is in the double names category, not cool people. The way she invited her coach to the stage at the Olympics was really nice.

And apparently she sleeps on the floor, finding hotel beds too soft. I have slept on the floor when I had some back problems, and also find hotel beds too soft (but still preferable to the floor, the floor is icky in a hotel) so I can sympathize.

So I would prefer Wenwen.