How Music Works by David Byrne, and Sweet Anticipation by David Huron

1. Byrne

The other day I shared a passage from the book, How Music Works, by David Byrne, which motivated a long discussion about why we prefer familiarity in music and surprise in stories. I enjoyed Byrne’s book a lot—actually, it was much better than I’d anticipated, partly because I’d read other books on how music works and I’d been disappointed, partly because Byrne is a celebrity and his book had all these glowing endorsements, which gets me suspicious. It’s published by McSweeney’s, for chrissake, and even though McSweeney’s is wonderful—as far as I’m concerned, their entire existence through the end of time is justified by publishing Jim Stallard’s article, “No justice, no foul”—but, still, they’re so insufferably smug . . . so I didn’t want to like this book by Byrne, but I did.

Here’s one bit:

I [Byrne] was beginning to see that theatricality wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. It was part of life in much of the world, and not necessarily phony either. I guess I was primed to receive this new way of looking at performance, but I quickly absorbed that it was all right to make a show that didn’t pretend to be “natural.” . . . I decided that maybe it was OK to wear costumes and put on a show. It didn’t imply insincerity at all; in fact, this kind of practice performance was all around, if one only looked at it.

And another:

That sounds really cool! I want to figure out how to adapt this to create a student-participation activity for a statistics class.

And:

Academic talks are like that!

And here are some thought-provoking lines:

Making music is like constructing a machine whose function is to dredge up emotions in performer and listener alike. Some people . . . would prefer to see music as an expression of emotion rather than a generator of it, to believe in the artist as someone with something to say. I’m beginning to think of the artist as someone who is adept at making devices that tap into our shared psychological makeup and that trigger the deeply moving parts we have in common. . . .

The online magazine Pitchfork once wrote that I would collaborate with anyone for a bag of Doritos. This wasn’t intended as a complement—though, to be honest, it’s not that far from the truth. Contrary to their insinuation, I am fairly picky about who I collaborate with, but I am also willing to work with people you might not expect me to. . . .

The unwritten rule in these remote collaborations [here, he’s talking about a project he did with Brian Eno] is, for me, “Leave the other person’s stuff alone as much as you possibly can.” You work with what you’re given . . . Accepting that half of the creative decision making has already been done has the effect of bypassing a lot of endless branching . . . I didn’t ever have to think about what direction to take musically—that train had already left the station, and my job was to see where it wanted to go . . .

[In another project] I was partly helped by a “rule” in theater that the author (or songwriter) has absolute say—his or her words can’t be changed. The text is considered sacred. So I knew that if I tried a suggestion and hated it, I could always demand, in the nicest possible way, that the song be returned to its original condition. This implicit power gave me a kind of freedom. I could be flexible and accommodating to all the suggestions, and I could try things I wasn’t sure of, that I maybe even had doubts about, knowing that they weren’t going to be set in stone. Instead of making me conservative, my hidden power encouraged me to take risks.

Byrne writes about creativity and how he tries to “turn off the internal censor”:

Sometimes sitting at a desk trying to do this doesn’t work. I never have writer’s block, but sometimes things do slow down. My conscious mind might be thinking too much—and at this point, one wants surprises and weirdness from the depths. Some techniques help in that regard. For instance, I’ll carry a small micro recorder and go jogging on the West Side, recording phrases that match the song’s meter as they occur to me. On the rare occasions when I’m driving a car, I can do the same thing . . . Basically anything that occupies part of the conscious mind and distracts it works. The idea is to allow the chthonic material freedom it needs to gurgle up. To distract the gatekeepers.

I know what he means! I can get all stuck but then I hope on the bike to go somewhere and I fill up with thoughts, so much so that I need to stop and scrawl them in my boekje before I forget them all. The hard part is to go back later and work things out more systematically. Also, I like Byrne in part because he rides a bike and has lines like, “Hoving did ride a bike, so he can’t have been all about fancy art.”

And this:

Canadian composer and music teacher R. Murray Schafer originated the concept of the soundscape. . . . Schafer’s pedagogy begins with trying to create awareness, to help students hear their sonic environment:

What was the last sound you heard before I clapped my hands?
What was the highest sound you heard in the past ten minutes? What was the loudest? How many airplanes have you heard today?
What was the most interesting sound you heard this morning?
Make a collection of disappearing or lost sounds, sounds that formed part of the sonic environment but can no longer be heard today.

I like this. It reminds me of statistics diaries. The specificity of these questions could help get the ball rolling.

Byrne writes:

[Marshall McLuhan] claims that in a visual universe one begins to think in a linear fashion, one thing following another along a timeline, rather than everything existing right now, everywhere, in the moment. . . .

Hmmmm . . . that seems like the opposite of what’s happening! It’s sound that comes in a time sequence. A visual image is all there at once.

Byrne asks:

Why is it that Satie’s compositions, Brian Eno’s ambient music, or the minimal spaced-out work of Morton Feldman all seem fairly cool, while Muzak is deemed abhorrent? Is it simply because Muzak alters songs that are already familiar to everyone? I think it’s something else. The problem is that this music is intended to dull your awareness, like being force-fed tranquilizers.

Actually, I think Muzak’s use of very familiar songs is of the things that makes it so annoying; see discussion in my post from a couple years ago, “The revelation came while hearing a background music version of Iron Butterfly’s ‘In A Gadda Da Vida’ at a Mr. Steak restaurant in Colorado.”

2. Huron

My post motivated by Byrne got lots of interesting comments, including this one from RulerFrank:

I have exactly the book for you! It’s called “Sweet Anticipation: Music and the Psychology of Expectation” by David Huron. To quote the Goodreads blurb:

Huron proposes that emotions evoked by expectation involve five functionally distinct response systems: reaction responses (which engage defensive reflexes); tension responses (where uncertainty leads to stress); prediction responses (which reward accurate prediction); imagination responses (which facilitate deferred gratification); and appraisal responses (which occur after conscious thought is engaged). For real-world events, these five response systems typically produce a complex mixture of feelings.

Or in other words, the key to resolving your paradox is that there are different types of “expectation”.

I have read the book in its entirety and couldn’t recommend it enough. One of the best books that I’ve ever read.

I was motivated by this recommendation to get a copy of Huron’s book from the same source that supplied Byrne’s: that’s right, the local public library.

Sweet Anticipation is excellent, lots of amazing (to me) and sensible ideas. Like many nonfiction books I’ve read nowadays, though, about 1/3 of the way through it starts to get boring and repetitive. Ironic, huh? given the subject of the book. In contrast, David Byrne’s book, though much more shallow, is more readable and interesting all the way through. I wish Huron had an editor. Every time I encountered the phrase, “Notice that,” I wanted to scream. Overall, though, it’s a wonderful book, and I really admire how he kept all that technical musical detail while still making it followable by someone like me who can’t read music and doesn’t know the chords etc.

15 thoughts on “How Music Works by David Byrne, and Sweet Anticipation by David Huron

1. As an admirer of Huron’s book, thanks for the recommendation of Byrne’s!

I wonder if the differences in style you mention are related to Byrne’s ideas on the performer/audience relationship? In academic writing, we are writing for an essentially hostile audience, people who will work very hard not to believe what we are saying. This is important for ensuring that our evidence and arguments are as strong as possible. But it also leads to a lot of repetition as we strive to control what the reader has in their mind. Byrne’s style sounds more cooperative, using the text the way he uses music, as a machine to generate thoughts in your head (like the bike example) instead of trying to copy his thoughts into your head.

• Gec:

Interesting that you say that in academic writing, “we are writing for an essentially hostile audience, people who will work very hard not to believe what we are saying.” I don’t find that at all! I do find that it can be hard to get anyone to read an article, but I have the impression that most people who read an academic article are only reading it because they’re already receptive to its ideas.

• I agree that it is difficult to get people to read an article! I think that’s why academics construct situations that force them to read articles like journal clubs, classes/workshops, and peer review. While those are certainly not the only ways we read articles, they are pretty common and usually subject the article to close critical examination, even articles to which we are basically receptive. As such, we often try to write our articles to withstand these “worst-case scenarios”. They are “hostile” only in an intellectual sense (though certainly there is plenty of normal human hostility in academia as well).

2. “it took only four minutes for the strongest…to dominate”

This is a fantastic exercise! The implications are huge!!! The rules of this game are a lot like the rules of life.

First, it’s a demonstration of why “nudge” will almost always fail: people *have already optimized* by copying one another. The reason “nudgers” think otherwise is because their models are far too simple. They suffer from mis-estimated parameters, missing parameters and incorrect assumptions.

Second, it shows how people *really* optimize behavior. They don’t calculate all the parameters of “economic” decisions. They use successful analogs to themselves and continually tweak.

Social scientists should take notice. Instead of trying to convince people that their behavior is wrong or not correctly optimized, they should study why it is that people are already *so incredibly good at optimizing*. Also note that this processes of behavioral optimization at least partially compensates for intelligence.

3. The bit about being willing to be ‘theatrical’ reminds me of a Nicholas Cage interview I saw, in which he said something like “realism is overrated. I’m not afraid of not being a ‘realistic’ actor. Sometimes realism isn’t very interesting.” (None of those are actual quotes, but that was the gist of it.)

I’ve enjoyed a lot of Nicholas Cage movies but have also often been struck by how, well, unrealistic his acting seems. It’s sort of nice to know that he wasn’t trying to be ‘real’.

• Was reading a Tennessee Williams biography

> he would say, “Baby, don’t write how people talk. Write how we think they talk. It is what we think we hear, not what they actually say, that sounds true.”

Hard to assess what statements like this really mean (did TW really live by this, or in what senses is it true?) but it sounds kinda cool at least.

4. I read Byrne’s book a few years ago. It was better than I anticipated, too. Lots of ideas. People are skeptical when I recommend it, but it is not just a memoir of this wild youth.

5. Haven’t you already written something on statistics and music both as “repetition and variation”? Or is it just a thought I’ve started developing since reading the blog? Not just as a frequentist thing, but in terms of model building/averaging, the Secret Weapon, replication…

6. “Like many nonfiction books I’ve read nowadays, though, about 1/3 of the way through it starts to get boring and repetitive.” I’ve encountered this in a lot of recent non-fiction, also! I don’t know why it is. Perhaps some authors have ideas that are best suited to just ~80 pages of exposition, but no one will publish a book this short, hence the repetition. Perhaps they lack good editors, or the authors themselves aren’t willing or able to mercilessly cut their own text.

I liked Byrne’s book, too, by the way.

7. You wrote, “I want to figure out how to adapt this [dance evolution exercise] to create a student-participation activity for a statistics class.”

So far, the best I’ve been able to conceive is think-(pair-vote)^n for a multiple-choice question, allowing the series of votes to reveal evolution to consensus. The only rules:
    (a) voting should be honest;
    (b) each pairing must be with somebody new (to help disseminate information/perspectives); and
    (c) voting results are publicly shown (allowing participants to compare their choice with choices of the population).

Compared to the dance-evolution exercise, this classroom version not only lacks visual beauty, but it also constrains information exchange in time and reach, because dancers can:
    (1) assess the fitness of options locally (the dancer next to them), regionally (multiple nearby dancers), and globally (most dancers in domain), while stats students in the above exercise are constrained to perspectives that are local (pairing) and global (voting results for the class).
    (2) assess the fitness of options at their own pace — and likely faster — than stats students; and
    (3) vote on demand instead of at prescribed intervals.

With suitable software, physical classroom setup, and student population, I could imagine trying think-vote-(mingle-vote)^n, where:
    (i) voting results are updated continuously (instead of at prescribed intervals);
    (ii) participants can mingle in a room (allowing participants to self assemble); and
    (iii) participants must individually widely advertise their current vote (allowing participants to seek alternative options).

8. > That sounds really cool! I want to figure out how to adapt this to create a student-participation activity for a statistics class.

Oh noo!

Seriously though, that was 50 professional dancers or other stage artists. I know it’s much easier for dancers to find jobs as statists in e.g. Hollywood films because they have a very experienced awareness of their position and what they look like, and they can understand stage instructions about such things much better than the rest of us.