Some folks like to get away, take a holiday from the neighborhood

Saw a couple of plays, both excellent.

Fun Home. Compared to what I remembered of the book (which I also thought was excellent), the play seemed to be more about her family and less about Bechdel herself. But that worked for me. Bechdel’s story won’t be shared by everybody, but we all have families. The play really engaged me emotionally. I’ll say one thing, though. The music was fine but it didn’t live up to the hype. It was ok, it did the job in the context of the play, but it wasn’t memorable. It seemed more like cut-rate Sondheim. Actually, what hearing this music really did, is it made me want to see a Sondheim play from beginning to end. Next time there’s a well-reviewed revival of one, I’ll go see it.

Domesticated. This one was just hilarious. Now I want to see everything else Bruce Norris has written. I guess I could just read the scripts but maybe that’s not the same.

4 thoughts on “Some folks like to get away, take a holiday from the neighborhood

• Steve:

It’s funny that you say that urbanites talk most obsessively about real estate. The urbanites I know don’t talk much about real estate at all! I think it must depend a lot on one’s stage of life: there’s a point at which you’ll spend a lot of time thinking about where to live, and then you live somewhere and don’t think so much about it. The other thing is that people have so many conversation topics to choose from. If you start talking about real estate, your friends can chime in and talk about real estate too. If you start talking about your kids, your friends can chime in and talk about their kids, or nephews and nieces. And so on.