Statistics = Job$

I just got this unsolicited email:

Position Open —

Causal Modeling Statistician

The Medical Technology and Practice Patterns Institute (www.mtppi.org), a non-profit health care research organization, seeks a qualified candidate for the position of Statistician.

The position of statistician/biostatistician is open to candidates holding a Ph.D. or Master’s degree in statistics. Those with interest/experience in one or more of the following fields of endeavor should consider this announcement: outcomes research, data analysis, healthcare technology, clinical epidemiology, or pharmacoepidemiology. The specific statistical expertise required is theoretical knowledge and demonstrated use of one or more of the following techniques for causal model estimation in the presence of time dependent confounding: g-estimation, dynamic treatment regimens, marginal structural models, and structural nested models.

English proficiency and writing samples demonstrating the candidate’s competence in the area of causal modeling are essential.

Qualified candidates should submit curriculum vitae to: Search Committee, MTPPI, 4733 Bethesda Avenue, Ste 510, Bethesda, MD 20814 or via e-mail to [email protected]. We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. MTPPI is an EOE.

I don’t know anything about these people, but it’s a good sign that they want to hire a causal modeling statistician. I’m a little skeptical of the structural models stuff, but I’m confident that if you get a job there and start running logistic regressions, poststratifying on appropriate pre-treatment variables, you’ll do just fine.

3 thoughts on “Statistics = Job$

1. Given you don't know anything about these people, do you really want to help them with their recruitment efforts?

2. I dunno, they look legit. And I do think it's important for people to know that causal inference has commercial as well as intellectual value.