Postdoc and research software engineer positions at Aalto University, Finland

This job ad is by Aki

I (Aki) have 1-2 postdoc positions open in my group for developing Bayesian inference methods, diagnostics, computation, workflow, probabilistic programming tools, teaching Bayesian data analysis, etc. If you’ve been following this blog, you probably know what kind of things I and Andrew work on. You can also check some of my talks and my recent publications. The specific tasks will be agreed based on the background, interests and future goals. Aalto University and nearby University of Helsinki has a big and active Bayesian and machine learning community, Finland has been ranked several times as the happiest country in the world, and Helsinki is among the most liveable cities. We collaborate actively with Stan, ArviZ and PyMC developers so the methods developed will have wide impact. There is no deadline for application nor official call page (we have those also twice per year) for these positions. You can find my contact information from my web page. Knowledge of Bayesian methods is a must, and experience in free software is a big plus. The length of the contract can be 1-2 years with option for extension.

Aalto University has also open a permanent position for a research software engineer. Aalto Scientific Computing is an elite “special forces” unit of Research IT, providing high-performance computing hardware, management, research support, teaching, and training. The team consists of a core of PhD staff working with top researchers throughout the university. All the work is open-source by default, and they take an active part in worldwide projects. They are looking for both people 1) with PhD degree with research experience in some computational field, and 2) software developer or computational scientist with a strong software/open source/Linux background, scientific computing experience, and some experience in research, with Masters degree or similar experience. This particular call emphasizes the ability to work in machine learning and AI environments. The ideal candidate will be working closely with machine learning researchers, and thus a background in machine learning is highly desirable. They are counting Bayesian probabilistic programming also as part of machine learning, so you could end up helping also my group. See more information and how to apply.

1 thought on “Postdoc and research software engineer positions at Aalto University, Finland