Rasmussen sez: “108% of Respondents Say . . .”

The recent discussion of pollsters reminded me of a story from a couple years ago that perhaps is still relevant . . .

I was looking up the governors’ popularity numbers on the web, and came across this page from Rasmussen Reports which shows Sarah Palin as the 3rd-most-popular governor. But then I looked more carefully. Janet Napolitano of Arizona was viewed as Excellent by 28% of respondents, Good by 27%, Fair by 26%, and Poor by 27%. That adds up to 108%! What’s going on?

I’d think they would have a computer program to pipe the survey results directly into the spreadsheet. But I guess not, someone must be typing in these numbers one at a time. Another possibility is that they are altering their numbers by hand, and someone made a mistake with the Napolitano numbers, adding a few percent in one place and forgetting to subtract elsewhere. Or maybe there’s another explanation?

P.S. Here are some thoughts from Mark Blumenthal

P.P.S. I checked the Rasmussen link today (9 July 2010) and the Napolitano numbers still add up to 108%. So I guess nobody at Ramussen noticed my blog that I posted earlier on the topic!

P.P.P.S. In case you were wondering: No, I can’t see how you could possibly get to 108% from rounding error.

1. alextp says:

Can't this be justified by a form that looks like
    "Person: ( ) poor, ( ) average, ( ) good, ( ) excellent"?

2. Willem says:

Love the text in the bar on the top end of the site:

« Rasmussen produces some of the most accurate and reliable polls in the country today. »
    -Larry Sabato, University of Virginia

3. Mark Palko says:

Along similar lines (though with more nefarious intent), Fox News had a very amusing graph where they stretched the six months of the economic collapse by a factor of about three in order to make the point that unemployment has grown steadily over the past two and a half years.

I have some pictures up on OE.

http://observationalepidemiology.blogspot.com/201

4. Andrew Gelman says:

Willem: The top of the Rasmussen page also features quotes from such luminaries as Michael Barone, Susan Estrich, and Dick Morris.

Where can you find the best CBD products? CBD gummies made with vegan ingredients and CBD oils that are lab tested and 100% organic? Click here.