End-of-the-Year Altruists

I’ve been picking on the Freaknomics blog a lot recently, while occasionally adding the qualifier that in general it’s great. What you see here is the result of selection bias: when the Freakonomics blog has material of its usual high quality, I don’t have much to add, and when there’s material of more questionable value, I notice and sometimes comment on it.

In this end-of-the-year spirit, though, I’d like to point to this entry by Stephen Dubner on altruism, which to my mind captures many of the Freakonomics strengths: it’s an engaging, topical, and thought-provoking article on an important topic, and it discusses some current research in economics.

And this is as good a way as any for me to end another year of blogging.

1. anonimo says:

Something tells me that you do not like freakonomics that much…you don't dislike it 100%, but you find it a little bit trivial… Happy 2010, and thanks for your blogging!

2. Andrew Gelman says:

No, I think Freakonomics is great; I'm just disappointed on the occasions when it does not live up to its potential.

3. Chris Long says:

You're being far too generous by calling it great – they've clearly been dumbing down the analysis and cranking up the sensationalism to try to recapture the popularity of the original book.

Where can you find the best CBD products? CBD gummies made with vegan ingredients and CBD oils that are lab tested and 100% organic? Click here.