Summer internships at Flatiron Institute’s Center for Computational Mathematics

[Edit: Sorry to say this to everyone, but we’ve selected interns for this summer and are no longer taking applications. We’ll be taking applications again at the end of 2022 for positions in summer 2023.]

We’re hiring a crew of summer interns again this summer. We are looking for both undergraduates and graduate students. Here’s the ad.

I’m afraid the pay is low, but to make up for it, we cover travel, room, and most board (3 meals/day, 5 days/week). Also, there’s a large cohort of interns every summer across the five institutes at Flatiron (biology, astrophysics, neuroscience, quantum physics, and math), so there are plenty of peers with whom to socialize. Another plus is that we’re in a great location, on Fifth Avenue just south of the Flatiron Building (in the Flatiron neighborhood, which is a short walk to NYU in Greenwich Village and Google in Chelsea as well as to Times Square and the Hudson River Park).

If you’re interested in working on stats, especially applied Bayesian stats, Bayesian methodology, or Stan, please let me know via email at [email protected] so that I don't miss your application. We have two other Stan devs here, Yuling Yao (postdoc) and Brian Ward (software engineer).

We're also hiring full-time permanent research scientists at both the junior level and senior level, postdocs, and software engineers. For more on those jobs, see my previous post on jobs at Flatiron. That post has lots of nice photos of the office, which is really great. Or check out Google's album of photos.

6 thoughts on “Summer internships at Flatiron Institute’s Center for Computational Mathematics

1. I’m going to be honest with you: the pictures of the office look like an open-plan layout. Which tends to photograph well, but is absolutely miserable to actually work in.

• Adede:

I’ve been there and the layout looks good to me. People mostly seem to be 2 or 3 to an office, which seems about right; actually it’s typically only 1 in the office because nowadays not everyone comes into work every day. They also have common areas of different sizes and layouts where people can work together, write on the blackboard, etc. It’s not a pure open-plan: you can always go back to your office and have some space to yourself.

• Well, that is good to hear! I guess it just does not come across in the photographs. This picture: https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/flatiron-institute-lunchroom.jpg

gives the impression that everyone would have to work elbow-to-elbow along big tables in a big, cacophonous room. (But we have a bar in the office! Just like a startup!! We work hard and play hard!!!). Well, now I see in linking that the picture is titled lunchroom. That kind of layout is just fine for a lunchroom. Too bad there wasn’t a caption to give me a clue sooner.

I know this isn’t your fault, but I am annoyed by the tendency of workplace photographs to focus on common areas where the employees will spend 80% of their time.