Data visualization panel at the New York Public Library this evening!

I’ll be participating in a panel (along with Kaiser Fung, Mark Hansen, Tahir Hemphill, and Manuel Lima), “What Makes Good Data Visualization?”, at the 42nd St. library this evening.

The event is organized by Isabel Walcott Draves and is part of the Leaders in Software and Art series.

This article with Antony Unwin should be relevant (although I won’t be “presenting”; I’ll be part of a panel and we’ll be having a wide-ranging conversation).

7 thoughts on “Data visualization panel at the New York Public Library this evening!

1. I think you’re wrong to say that the impressive amount of information on the NY Times weather graph isn’t actually useful. On the contrary, it gives a very good impression of how much day-to-day (and week-to-week etc. ) variability there is in both daily temperatures and temperature records.

I’m currently working a lot with “smart meter” energy data: for a building I might have one or more years of energy use data, collected at 15-minute intervals. I have several ways of simplifying and summarizing the data, but the first thing I always do is simply to plot the data — one plot per month or per two months, stretched out very long and thin so I can stack 6 of them one above the other. Usually this is the single most informative plot that I make.

2. Pingback: Our data visualization panel at the New York Public Library « Statistical Modeling, Causal Inference, and Social Science

3. Strike the comment about good sound. Second speaker is inaudible.

Third speaker (Andrew) not much better. Was the mike off?

BTW, it would be better to have a hi-res screen facing the speakers so they would not have to try to see the screen behind them.