Messy data crashes into us

This short post is by Lizzie. 

Excellent job title alert! University of Nebraska-Lincoln has an open-rank position in messy data. Thanks to my former student, Dan, for sharing this.

In other news, I am in France (near the toy shop in this photo) where the radio also goes on strike. This means that at 8am last Thursday when I went to listen to the top-of-the-hour news I instead heard ‘There is a light and it never goes out, There is a light and it never goes out …’

7 thoughts on “Messy data crashes into us

1. >The successful applicant will be skilled in at least one of the following areas: missing data, un-replicated data, observational data, augmented experimental design in the context of complex data, multitype data, improperly sampled or measured data, dependent data, or a related complex data type.

Sounds remarkably like real-world data to me.
    Although, what is “un-replicated” data? Data from an un-replicated experiment?

>where the radio also goes on strike

Are strikes just a normal part of culture in France? Seems like when I’m trying to watch a pro-cycling race in France it’s not uncommon to have some protest going.

• In the US, tenure track (including tenured) faculty positions are typically described as 9 months, meaning that one’s annual pay is distributed over 9 months and one is technically not paid for 3 months. Yes, this is an anachronism, but it makes some sense since (i) one generally is not required to teach during the summer, and (ii) one can use grant money to pay some amount of summer salary since one is not receiving university salary then.
      Also, in case you don’t know, a tenure decision is made after ~6 years, not 1.

• Yes, I knew tenure is usually after several years. But I didn’t know about the 9-month pay distribution you described! I thought the contract expired at the end of 9 months, and was poking fun at a “tenure-track” job with such a short (apparent) duration.