Another book about poker

I just finished Last Call, a science fiction novel by Tim Powers, that I’m mentioning here to add to our list of literary descriptions of poker. Last Call is pretty good: it’s full of action and it reads like a cross between Stephen King, Roger Zelazny, and George Pelecanos. I thought the ending was weak, but, hey, nobody’s perfect.

The poker scenes in Last Call were carried out well. The only problem I had was in some of the exposition near the beginning, where it seemed that the author was regurgitating a bunch of Frank Wallace’s classic, “Poker: A guaranteed income for life by using the advanced concepts of poker,” even to the extent of repeating the anecdote about the sandwich. Wallace’s book remains very readable, and I have no problem using it as background, but it’s gotta be processed first so it doesn’t look like raw research.

5 thoughts on “Another book about poker

1. I wouldn’t call it science fiction exactly. Much of Tim Powers’ more recent stuff, including the sort-of-sequels to Last Call, is considerably weaker, but I would strongly recommend The Anubis Gates, Declare, The Stress of Her Regard and On Stranger Tides, with a good also-ran for Dinner at Deviant’s Palace.

• Don’t forget “The Drawing of the Dark”, Tim Power’s earliest book which I’ve read, and also great. “The Anubis Gates” is one of my all-time favorites. “On Stranger Tides” was remade into one of the “Black Pearl” (Johnny Depp) movies. (The book is much better.)

Jerry Pournelle, not much of a fantasy reader, said of Tim Powers, something like, “This guy writes the most fantastic, unbelievable stuff–yet he makes you believe it!”

My favorite line from “Declare!” (paraphrasing from memory): “Not all the beasts who were left off the Ark had the decency to expire”. I was going to name a game mod “Not All The Beasts” but in the end went with “Godzilla” instead.

2. Check out Divisadero by Michael Ondaatje. One of the plotlines is about a poker player. I’m not really into poker, so not in a position to say much on the topic, but Ondaatje usually researches his novels thoroughly (even includes a bibliography) so I imagine it is solid. And he is a beautiful writer…

• Ib:

Typo fixed; thanks. Tim Parks is the author of Judge Savage and Cleaver. I prefer Tim Parks to Tim Powers (comparing their writing, that is; I know nothing about them as people), I guess that’s why I accidentally used Parks’s name there.