Frank Sinatra (3) vs. Virginia Apgar; Julia Child advances

I happened to come across this one from a couple years ago and the whole thing made me laugh so hard that I thought I’d share again:

My favorite comment from yesterday came from Ethan, who picked up on the public TV/radio connection and rated our two candidate speakers on their fundraising abilities. Very appropriate for the university—I find myself spending more and more time raising money for Stan, myself. A few commenters picked up on Child’s military experience. I like the whole shark repellent thing, as it connects to the whole “shark attacks determine elections” story. Also, Jeff points out that “a Julia win would open at least the possibility of a Wilde-Child semifinal,” and Diana brings up the tantalizing possibility that Julia Grownup would show up. That would be cool. I looked up Julia Grownup and it turns out she was on Second City too!

As for today’s noontime matchup . . . What can I say? New Jersey’s an amazing place. Hoboken’s own Frank Sinatra is only the #3 seed of our entries from that state, and he’s pitted against Virginia Apgar, an unseeded Jerseyite. Who do you want to invite for our seminar: the Chairman of the Board, or a pioneering doctor who’s a familiar name to all parents of newborns?

Here’s an intriguing twist: I looked up Apgar on wikipedia and learned that she came from a musical family! Meanwhile, Frank Sinatra had friends who put a lot of people in the hospital. So lots of overlap here.

Sinatra advanced to the next round. As much as we’d have loved to see Apgar, we can’t have a seminar speaker who specializes in putting people to sleep. So Frank faced Julia in the second round. You’ll have to see here and here to see how that turned out. . . .

1 thought on “Frank Sinatra (3) vs. Virginia Apgar; Julia Child advances