mc-stan.org down again (and up again)

[update: back up again 20 minutes later. sorry for all the churn and sorry again it went down.]

My fault again. Really sorry about this.

I’m actually on a real vacation for the first time in two years and not checking my email regularly and not checking my junk email at all. This time, PairNic shut us off because they wanted me to follow up the domain renewal several days later with one of these multi-step dances to renew my email. I have no idea why this is so challenging.

I just verified, we transferred the domain, and are hoping it’ll be back up within the next two hours as PairNIC implied in their web form.

We’re trying to figure out how to get this set up so there’s not a single point of failure such as one of our personal emails or phone numbers.

6 thoughts on “mc-stan.org down again (and up again)

1. A strategy that might work:

1) Use Dreamhost as the registrar. They’re pretty darn good. They recently had a DNS DDoS attack. It was the first time in like 17 years that anything ever went wrong with my Dreamhost stuff.
    2) Use a Dreamhost email address as the registration address.
    3) Set up that Dreamhost address as pure forwarding to N other people.
    4) Make sure some of those N other people have some authority: NumFocus, Andrew, etc.
    5) ???
    6) Profit!

Also, auto-renew on the domain

• Thanks for the suggestions.

I’ve really liked PairNIC—I don’t think they’re the problem. It’s me. I wasn’t reading the email I used or forwarding it anywhere else. We’ve taken care of that issue.

Then they wanted a followup confirmation for WhoIs, which broke things again. That I wasn’t expecting, so I still wasn’t reading that email.

I put it on auto-renewal, but presumably the credit card details will have changed in 5 years.