3 thoughts on “Meta-analyses of impact evaluations of aid programs

1. Interesting, thet edit a bit

Have you ever wondered whether aid programs [something] actually work[s]?

Hmm, is that not the purpose/promise of the scientific method?

So I check the title of the first talk I gave on Meta-analysis.

“Meta-Analysis: Auditing Scientific Projects and Method. University of Toronto, Department of Statistics Colloquim, 1989”

Oops, 20 years too early.

But what is interesting is the online fundraising for the project
    – that could enable/empower science.

2. Sounds interesting,… On the cynical side–I can see Evidence based political action committees (EB-PACS?)facing off in the courts/press for years… However, my biggest worry is that while they mention random effects affecting individual studies, it seems to me (admittedly an outsider both to social studies & meta-analysis) that such social/political studies may all contain similar systematic biases and other errors that could easily compound when aggregated. I hope they will also include details or sources for people to access the individual studies that go into their analysis as well.

• The systematic error issue is increasingly becoming emphasized, it’s initially being largely ignored being punctuated by M Egger’s paper entitled Spurious Certainty.

An introduction to those issues (limited to “baby” stats methods) is available in Greenland S, O’ Rourke K: Meta-Analysis. In Modern Epidemiology, 3rd ed. Edited by Rothman KJ, Greenland S, Lash T. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2008.