year + (1|year)

Ana Sequeira writes:

I am using a temporal data series and I am trying specifically to understand if there is a temporal trends in the occurrence of a species, for which I need to use “Year” in my models (and from what I understood from pages 244-246 [in ARM] is that factors should always be used as random effects).

I believe that in your book the closest example to my situation is the one shown in Figure 14.3: I also have 4 different regions in my study, states in your example are replaced by years in my study, and the x axis is a specific value for a climatic factor I am using in my analysis (IOD).

The reason why I am writing you, is because I am having troubles understanding if my variable “Year” (factor), should only be added as a random effect (1|Year) or if I should include the “Years” (used not as factor) in my models as well (Species ~ …Years + (1|Year))?

My doubt lies in the fact that I am looking for a trend and if I do not include “Years” as variable I believe the variance shown in the resulting random coefficients is conditional to the variables and effects used in the model, i.e. if I am not specifically accounting for a possible trend (linear or polynomial), would my model still give me a trustworthy answer regarding yearly trends?

Also, some of my factors include only 4 and 5 levels (seasons and regions, respectively) – in which case, I understood that lmer() approximate inference is not reliable.

My reply:

Yes, you can include year + (1|year). See the graphs on p.293 for a similar example. Also, you could fit using blmer/bglmer to get more stable estimates of the group-level variances.

1 thought on “year + (1|year)

1. Just as an FYI to Ana: In the context of long-term ecological monitoring, there are several papers by N. Scott Urquhart and his colleagues (and probably by other groups also) that use this general type of model as a framework for basic trend estimation and for defining relevant components of variation affecting the performance of monitoring study designs. For example, see http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdfplus/1400438.pdf (if you can access it) – VanLeeuwen et al. 1996, A mixed model with both fixed and random trend components across time, Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics 1:435-453. These other papers won’t help you with the implementation of your analysis, but given your focus on “species”, I figured it could be useful to point out this other work in case anyone you work with is confused about the use of “year” for modeling systematic changes as well as additional year-to-year variation.