6 thoughts on “High-level intellectual discussions in the Columbia statistics department

1. I'm sure you'll be devastated, but the first person that comes up when I search for "Gelman" is the producer of "Live with Regis and Kelly" (after two links for the Gelman library system at George Washington University). You are right after that, though!

2. Sorry, but when I search for "Gelman", the first 2 sites I get are related to the "George Washington University's Gelman Library", your web page is 3rd. Personalized search strikes again!

Weirdly enough I routinely navigate to your blog by search "gelman blog", so you'd think my personalized search would be trained by now, but who knows, maybe they're trying not to overfit my search history. I wish there was a way of doing searches with these personalization options off.

3. Yeah, you're fourth for me (in the Mid-Atlantic), after GW's library, some weird website on the Study Room Reservation System, and Michael Gelman.

I like personalized search though–when I type in the first two letters of my school's library (two very common letters), it spits out my library's name–saves me a lot of typing every day. Of course, I could just put it in my favorites tab up top or whatever, but I've never managed to do it.

4. This is a great example of what Eli Pariser calls the "filter bubble." Many search engines and websites (such as Amazon) try hard to tailor their search results to what they think you, specifically, are interested in. To do this, they use information including your location, the time of day, other websites you have visited (if their cookies are available to you), your previous search history (if known), and so on. Sounds good, right? Why not use all of the available information to try to deliver the search that is best for you? But Pariser suggests there is a problem: this can create a "search bubble" that makes it hard for you to see opposing points of view. Search for "Pawlenty" and you will likely be pointed to sites that support your existing point of view (whatever it is). And you won't even know it.

Pariser did a TED talk about this that might be worth a look.

5. Anddrew Gellman or something related to him is in the first 4 hits for me. Michael comes next.

I'm in Canada