At least he didn’t prove a false theorem

Siobhan Mattison pointed me to this. I’m just disappointed they didn’t use my Fenimore Cooper line. Although I guess that reference wouldn’t resonate much outside the U.S.

P.S. My guess was correct See comments below. Actually, the reference probably wouldn’t resonate so well among under-50-year-olds in the U.S. either. Sort of like the Jaycees story.

6 thoughts on “At least he didn’t prove a false theorem

1. Here's another sample of one from the UK. I know Fenimore Cooper on two grounds, as the author of "The Last of the Mohicans" and as the unwitting subject of an essay by Mark Twain. I have a dim impression that the latter is often set reading in the USA at what is held to be a formative age. I do guess that you're thinking of the latter not the former and I do agree that your title would not resonate widely over here.

2. I am from Sweden and cannot figure out the reference at all. According to Wikipedia, Franz Schubert, on his death bed, wanted most to read more of Cooper's novel?. My limited pop cultural insights more or less exactly fail me on this one….

3. DK:

He sent me a copy of his paper with a request for comments. I looked at it and replied that I thought his sample size was too small to detect any patterns that might be there (for the reasons discussed in my paper with Weakliem).

4. Andrew, thanks! BTW, I grew up in Russia and I think Fenimore Cooper reference was very funny. For whatever reason, almost everything Cooper wrote was translated to Russian and I read probably all of it when I was 11-13 years old.