8 thoughts on ““Data Shows Nothing is the Matter with Kansas”

1. Andrew –
    I attended your talk at NYU and am greatly enjoying the book. The Eagle is my hometown newspaper, and I can tell you that Kansans like nothing better than to be assured that "nothing is the matter" with them.

While I'm convinced that the within-Kansas slope debunks one component of the Frank story, the intercept–the high rates of Republican voting among low-income Kansas voters–still makes no sense to me.

Thanks for the thoughtful book –
    Sean Corcoran
    NYU

2. Another way of looking at "data" is to realize that it doesn't have to be one way or the other. For example, one can say "The faculty disagree," when the disagreement is within the faculty, or "The faculty disagrees" when they act as a body [which, we all know, is rare].

Besides, like garbage, data is a collective and (collected) noun — aside from their other commonalities. And even the New York Times now permits its use in the singular.

3. As a Wichita resident, it is surprising to see you in the newspaper. I am pretty sure yours is the first logical argument to ever appear on the Wichita Eagle opinion page.

If you want/need one, I can send you a printed copy…

4. My question: yes, the poor in Kansas vote roughly the same way that the poor in Alabama vote.

But I am wondering how much of it has to do with race: example, how to the white poor in Kansas vote compared with the white poor in New York, and how to the white rich in Kansas vote compared with the white rich in New York?

I wonder if race is a confounding factor.

5. Ooops! I can see that my first sentence made no sense: it should read "yes, the poor in Kansas vote roughly the same way that the poor in New York vote". :)