What are you going to do with your Ph.D. in statistics?

Rachel and Tyler write:

The Columbia statistics graduate students are excited to announce a Symposium on Careers for PhD’s in Statistics on April 4, 2008. In an effort to broaden our exposure to the various possibilities that our distinguished fields affords, we are inviting leaders from academia and industry for a frank discussion of the careers and lifestyles of statisticians.

Current confirmed speakers include industry statisticians at Google, AT&T Labs-Research, National Institutes of Health, and Pfizer, Inc and academic statisticians from statistics, marketing, and biostatistics departments at Columbia University, University of Pennsylvania and Rutgers University.

The Symposium will be held at Columbia University in New York on April 4, 2008 from 1-5pm. A wine and hors d’oeuvre reception will follow so that there will be ample time to chat informally with our guests, and a student mixer after that is also in the works.

We hope that you’ll be able to join us for this exciting event. The conference is free and we will happily reimburse travel expenses (up to $40) to and from Columbia to all students who register for the symposium on our website.

This is something of a followup on our statistical consulting mini-symposium.

3 thoughts on “What are you going to do with your Ph.D. in statistics?

1. A relevant cartoon?
    http://www.PhDcomics.com/comics.php?n=989

Long ago, I attended a less focused PhD career seminar at Michigan. This was of great value in figuring out simple networking strategies, thinking through what I would / would not accept, finding out where the heck to start, etc.

As of March 1, I've been on the applied side 30 years. For a few reflections that may (or may not) be relevant, see http://mikekr.blogspot.com/2008/03/30-years-in-ma

2. I'm curious… any idea what percentage of new PhDs want academic positions and what percentage get them? Also, how many people only want top research academic positions and would take an industry job over a more teaching focused academic job (like at a liberal arts college)?

3. Just a heads up, that page has an unclosed comment tag in the stylesheet section that prevents it from rendering on at least some browsers (since the entire page has been commented out!).

wrt to Brent's question: I thought I wanted an academic job, but I'm in industry now and I'm pretty happy so far. I mean, how can you not be amused by using statistics to, literally, fight crime?