Hey, that’s not a nice thing to say!

It seems strange to say that presenting data without explanations is tabloid science. I think of “tabloid-like” as going the other way: theories without data.

P.S. Serves me right for googling myself.

7 thoughts on “Hey, that’s not a nice thing to say!

1. The evil of presenting the data is that you forgot to tell us what to think.

Looking at those graphics, I could tell you without thinking about it that Wal-Mart originated in the middle of the country, and Starbucks somewhere on the left coast. (Disease/vector analysis.)

But I can't tell you about, say, Starbucks in Illinois or Virginia. So it's All Your Fault.

2. I admire Ryan for admitting that he can't think for himself. I suggest his first step it to learn how to use a dictionary.

Since a tabloid, and not a Tabloid®, is "A popular newspaper which presents its news and features in a concentrated, easily assimilable, and often sensational form, esp. one with smaller pages than those of a regular newspaper," (oed.com) it's hard to argue that giving data w/out spoon-feeding conclusions is tabloid-science, since it's not easily assimilable, popular, or concentrated (though it can often be sensational).

3. "52% of people in New Jersey missing a Y chromosone"

"Dihydrogen monoxide overdose kills dozens at Florida beaches"

I think data without context can be tabloid journalism as well. I hardly think the Wal-mart | Starbucks comparison sinks to this, but perhaps the blogger was reading more into it than Andrew intended.

4. I'd say that 'tabloid science' does have data, or rather, a datum. The writer has an anecdote, and uses it to support a theory (pre-existing, of course). Classical masters are David Brooks and Thomas Friedman.