CRAN “arm” package for Fedora Core Linux

Tom Moertel writes,

I wanted to let you know that I have packaged the CRAN “arm” package and its prerequisite R packages for Fedora Linux, making it easy to install using Fedora’s integrated package-management system. Normally, installing “arm” is somewhat tricky because of the dependency upon on R2WinBUGS, which requires BRugs, which doesn’t currently build on Linux. (I got around this problem by making R2WinBUGS not require BRugs, which is the best work-around I could come up with. The resulting functionality is therefore incomplete, but at least Linux users get the functionality that is possible on their platform rather than a failed installation.)

I don’t know how many of your students or readers use Fedora Linux, but if any do, feel free to point them to my packages: http://blog.moertel.com/articles/2007/04/25/new-fedora-core-rpms-for-cran-packages

Just a warning: we’ve been updating “arm” occasionally, mostly improvements to bayesglm() and fixing the calls to lmer().

4 thoughts on “CRAN “arm” package for Fedora Core Linux

1. For what it's worth, I successfully installed "arm" on two different machines running Ubuntu and Opensuse from inside R, i.e. using install.packages("arm"). The recent versions of R (2.5.0+ I believe) download prerequisites from CRAN automatically (depending on your R configuration, one might have to be running R as root for packages to build successfully). I did run into some dependency problems when trying to install "arm" in R 2.4 though.