25 thoughts on “BDA at 40% off!

1. Any chance of a brief overview of how this differs from the second edition (a copy of which is on the shelf behind my right shoulder as I type this)?

• From the preface:

The biggest change for this new edition is the addition of Chapters 20-23 on nonparametric modeling. Other major changes include weakly informative priors in Chapters 2, 5, and elsewhere; boundary-avoiding priors in Chapter 13; an updated discussion of cross-validation and predictive information criteria in the new Chapter 7; improved convergence monitoring and effective sample size calculations for iterative simulation in Chapter 11; presentations of Hamiltonian Monte Carlo, variational Bayes, and expectation propagation in Chapters 12 and 13; and new and revised code in Appendix C. We have made other changes throughout.

It’s a lot. Or, at least, it seemed like a lot to me when I was putting it all together!

• And Stan. Don’t forget about Stan!

(I was under the impression that you’d replaced BUGS/JAGS with Stan in this edition, but might be a bit overenthusiastic on that score.)

• Publishers should start giving past purchasers of a book free (or at printing cost, say $15) upgrades. What’s the value of loyalty and early adoption otherwise.

2. You know what, that’s really irritating! since last time you talked about BDA your publisher was promoting here on the blog how they were going to be so much cheaper if you order direct from them and use their discount code. I canceled my amazon pre-order and placed the order with your publisher directly using the discount code. Now I find out if I’d done nothing and left my Amazon pre-order, I’d be getting your book cheaper. Please talk to your publisher about applying some kind of pre-order discount for your die hard blog readers who are responding to their promotional efforts.

3. What is the word on the e-book for BDA? There appears to be no Kindle version, which is hugely disappointing. I have the Google book of the 2nd edition, but the quality is terrible.

Though I love BDA, I don’t read it cover-to-cover curled up on the sofa. I want to be able to search an electronic version and be able to cut and paste figures for lecturing. It seems like CRC press is way behind the curve in electronic media.

• Dear all

As the publisher of BDA3, I thought I would respond to a few comments here:

1) The book will be available through Kindle Print Replica once the book publishes. I don’t believe Amazon lists Kindle books pre-publication.

2) You can also request figure slides directly from us for use in lecturing. If you want to use the book for teaching, please contact me directly ([email protected]) to request an inspection copy and figure slides.

3) I can provide a 20% discount code for use on our website (AJL01 is a 20% discount code for ASA members to use at crcpress.com) but I cannot compete with the 40% discount on Amazon.com!

4) The book will also be available as an ebook through Vital Source.

Please feel free to email me directly with any other questions.

Best wishes,
      Rob Calver
      Chapman & Hall/CRC

4. German Amazon has the old price, too. Feels odd to pay considerably more Euros than Dollars, or maybe this time I’ll order in the States? Strange idea to send books over the ocean in single packages instead of large ones to be distributed here. CO2?
    Definitely a point for ebooks, even if I prefered epub over Kindle.

May I ask, how much Stan is there in the book? To me that would be more important than the question of ebook vs dead tree.

• Bernhard, Umberto:

Here are the Stan-relevant sections:

12.4 Hamiltonian Monte Carlo
      12.5 Hamiltonian dynamics for a simple hierarchical model
      12.6 Stan: developing a computing environment

Appendix C Computation in R and Stan

Also somewhat relevant are the sections on variational inference and expectation propagation.

• Thanks Andrew. The problem is that the book’s webpage at crcpress.com does not offer a detailed table of contents and Amazon does not give the possibility to browse through some pages of the book, hence it is difficult to find out about the actual content. It would be great to have the detailed TOC published somewhere, here or in your academic webpage.

5. Sep. 17 update from Amazon:

Hello,

We have good news! We’re able to get this part of your order to you faster than we originally promised:

Gelman, Andrew “Bayesian Data Analysis, Third Edition (Chapman & Hall/CRC Texts in Statistical Science)”
    Previous estimated arrival date: November 21, 2013 – November 23, 2013
    New estimated arrival date: October 31, 2013 – November 02, 2013